4, rue Wiltheim, L-2733, Luxembourg / T (+352) 26 19 05 55 www.nosbaumreding.lu
Heure d'ouverture: Mardi - samedi : 12h00-18h00
Dates des expositions: 24.04.2013-15.06.2013
Beat Streuli : new street
The gallery presents photography, video and digital projections by acclaimed Swiss artist Beat Streuli. A kind of portraiture of urban life, his work contains close-up images of people, often captured unawares as they negotiate city streets. In the midst of abstract city details, their faces, gestures and looks engage us in unremarkable, everyday drama.
Beat Streuli emerged as an artist, internationally, during the 1990s, bringing with him a refreshing new outlook on the world, and this exhibition demonstrates his continuing importance. Streuli’s images of people from all walks of life create an informal street-wise reflection of our lives and times, characterised by cultural diversity: against blurred but distinct backdrops of different built environments we see smart-casual Euro types alongside Arabic women in hijabs, Indian women wrapped in saris, Hispanic teenagers in t-shirts and caps walking past Afro-American girls with braids. Everyone is purposeful, talking into mobile phones, waiting at traffic lights or crossing the street, taking photos, chatting with friends. Whilst the images are of different people in different places, together they reflect a globalised culture with a cosmopolitan mix, especially relevant for Birmingham.
The Miller House – and a Slice of Cake – or – Life Shortly Before Disaster
Images are genuinely social, not only because they are created in a given social context, but also because this very context could not be constituted without the production of images. Production, image/media, and perception are therefore closely intertwined. Maja Weyermann addresses this complexity in computer-generated “Interiors” revolving around the social construction of spaces through categories of perception.
The starting point for this new series of works is the Miller House, a modernist residency designed by Eero Saarinen for the industrialist and patron of architecture J. Irwin Miller and his wife Xenia. Built in 1957, the house is located in Columbus, Indiana.